Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day After

For those of you who travel, you know that flying to and fro can pose some challenges . . . getting to the airport on time, standing in long lines for check in or security, going through customs in an efficient manner, dealing with other travelers, and most importantly: Sleeping on the plane! Luckily for Sean and I we had no trouble with any of the above mentioned experiences. Except that last one. It is the kicker and most important and necessary on a long flight. There is no way to get comfortable on a plane. I do believe we could now be considered contortionists after finding multiple sleeping positions throughout our 18 hour flight home. Yes, I said 18 hours! We left Cape Town, South Africa at 6:00 p.m. their time, so that would mean noon our Eastern Standard time. We flew all night with a stop over in Dakkar for refueling and a security check. Although we never got off of the plane. Then we headed on to JFK and arrived there at 6:30 a.m yesterday morning. After going through customs and claiming our baggage we jumped on the Air Train to take us to our long term parking lot. Finally, we pulled out and headed home around 8:00 a.m. and turned into our own driveway at 11:15 a.m. Which means we were traveling for about 24 hours. Ahh, home!

It is good to be home. I speak for Sean as well when I say that we feel like we've been hit by a truck. But it was all worth it. We had a fabulous couple of weeks in South Africa celebrating his cousin's wedding, spending time with family and taking in the sights. There will be more blogging on that later when we upload the photos. But for now, here are two fun shots of a mangy baboon we saw near Cape Point.


3 comments:

amyesteele said...

Welcome home! Take a nap...and then post some pictures!

Colored With Memories said...

Wow! I can't wait to hear more about y'all's trip.

Jerry went to Senegal a few years back, but never to South Africa. I'm sure it is amazing!

Get some rest.

Rachelle said...

Glad you had a safe trip! Can't wait to see pictures!