Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tree Time

It's that time of the year again. Christmas tree and decorating time! I love this part of Christmas. The tradition of getting a tree. When Sean and I first were married, my sister-in-law and I made the men go with us to pick out and cut down a tree. While it was fun for us to do it together, I don't think Sean fully got into the spirit of it all. Having come from South Africa where Christmas is during their summer time and they don't have a Thanksgiving that marks the beginning of the holiday season, he didn't quite understand the importance or tradition of it. For the past several years, we just chose a pre-cut tree from the local nursery. This year I was determined to have the "experience" of going out and cutting our own tree. This was something my family had done many times and I loved it. Instead of braving the shopping foolishness on Black Friday, Sean (a little reluctantly) and I ventured out to Elizabeth Farms, north of Lititz. It was windy and cold, but I think that added some excitement. The farm is fantastic, very old and historic. Sean and I spoke with the owner himself and learned that it had been in his family since the 1750s. There are 3 or 4 farm houses throughout the farm and a huge manor house. For the past few years it has been run as a Christmas tree farm. So, we sipped hot chocolate in the basement of the old barn to brace ourselves against the elements. Next, we hopped onto a large wagon pulled by two very docile mules. We were taken out among the thousands of trees and left to our own devices. Grabbing a saw, we traipsed here and there over the hills and muddy ruts in search of the perfect tree. Not too wide but fairly tall with fragrant branches but not too many dead spots in the center and few holes among the branches. Finally we found it, our 7 foot tall Fraser fur. Lovely. It had a few imperfections, but don't we all!


Then we loaded it back onto the wagon to return to the barn where the tree farm workers would shake off the loose needles and bale it for us. We wandered through the gift shop and Santa's workshop while we waited for our tree. It was much warmer inside. Finally, we carried the tree (it was a bit heavy) and shoved it into the back of the Subaru (which, by the way, is great for hauling Christmas trees) and headed home for some decorating. On the way home, Sean commented that I was right, getting the Christmas tree was fun! I think the pungent smell of pine was going to his head! Or maybe he truly was getting into the spirit of it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would like this tradition. Dad and I should join you one year to experience this. The tree looks lovely.
Love Mom S

Rachelle said...

Glad y'all had a good time. The tree looks great! We may try Elizabeth Farms this year as well. Miss you guys...